top of page


The history of the baroque Nicolaihaus dates back to the 16th century.

Over the centuries it has experienced expansions and renovations, destruction and reconstruction - but above all it conveyed the spirit of its namesake Friedrich Nicolai (1733-1811).


Nicolai was a publisher and a father of the Enlightenment in Berlin. This is where the nobility and bourgeoisie met, Schinkel and Lessing were frequent guests, readings and concerts took place - the Nicolaihaus was one of the most important locations right in the heart of Berlin bringing together enlightened and modern ideas from literature and music.

Today the Nicolaihaus is the Berlin headquarters of the German Foundation for Monument Protection.




by car

Public transportation

Brüderstraße 13

10178 Berlin

There is only limited parking available (mostly chargeable) nearby Nicolaihaus.

parking at Rathauspassagen underground carpark
(Walk 1km - approx. 15 min.)

U5 - Museumsinsel station
(Walk 600m - approx. 5 min.)

U2 - Spittelmarkt station
(Walk 500m - approx. 5 min.)

S-Bahn - Alexanderplatz station
(Walk 1.2km - approx. 15 minutes)

bottom of page